Undoubtedly, it is the well-developed employee motivation system that is the factor that develops the company. It cannot be denied that running a successful enterprise depends to a large extent on the involvement of people working in it in the tasks and duties entrusted to them. In our article you will learn how to effectively motivate employees to strengthen their activity at work.
What is positive motivation and how to use it?
We distinguish both positive and negative motivation. Nevertheless, many HR specialists believe that the best way to motivate an employee to perform their duties effectively is better to use the former, because it is more effective. A positive incentive can be a financial or non-wage incentive. Financial incentives include cash rewards, raises or discretionary bonuses. As for the second type of incentive, it includes, among others, such things as a multisport package, free cinema or theater tickets, trips and integration meetings, numerous discounts on company products, as well as additional insurance packages.
By using motivation, the employer is able to gain loyal, dedicated and productive employees who will enjoy their work, which will translate into numerous profits. However, remember that the motivators should be properly matched to a specific employee – each person is different. In addition, the image of the company is a huge advantage of the company that uses numerous encouraging procedures. Nevertheless, a good image of the company and productive employees will only survive if motivational measures are applied in a long-term and consistent manner. It is best to plan your reward system carefully and carefully, so that the rewards are fairly regular and at the same time do not come up too often. Also, remember to reward employees fairly so that none of them feel underappreciated.
Negative motivation – is it better to avoid it?
Contrary to positive motivation, negative motivation is to stimulate employees by creating stressful situations. Such situations are, for example:
– threat of job loss,
– threatening that an employee’s salary will decrease,
– the threat of degradation of the position.
This way of motivating is rarely effective, because few people are able to perform their duties effectively under such great stress. On the other hand, negative motivation can cause many negative situations, such as deterioration of the atmosphere at work, loss of creativity, or a decrease in the self-esteem of employees. If the employed person is afraid of losing their job, they will most likely do everything they can to keep it instead of developing their skills and getting involved in the company’s development.
Motivation without the use of funds – does it work?
If your company does not have too much financial outlay at the moment, or simply cannot afford to reward with money – non-wage motivation is also able to strengthen the commitment of employees to the work performed. It cannot be denied that employees do not care only about financial benefits, because we also need respect, recognition and self-fulfillment. Sometimes it is enough to tell employees that their work is of great importance to the company’s development. However, you cannot forget about the financial aspects, because the best combination that will create an ideal working atmosphere for the employee is to motivate him with finance and non-wage elements. Examples of non-financial motivation include:
– public praise and approval – an employee who will be noticed by the superior will surely feel pride and will motivate him to work in order to be distinguished in such a way again;
– feedback – it is very important for employees. Thanks to this, the employee will know what part of his work he needs to work on more and what he does well;
– the opportunity to prove yourself – if the employer gives his employees the opportunity to participate in the company’s development, he will certainly appreciate it and its value will increase;
– development of competences – each employee will appreciate the fact that his supervisor sees him as a valuable employee and provides him with development opportunities. Group courses for a specific part of the company’s staff will be a good idea, thanks to which employees will not only be able to improve their competences, but also integrate with the team, which will improve the quality of the atmosphere in the company. Keep in mind that the relationship between employees has a huge impact on the company itself, as everyone prefers to work in a friendly place where they feel appreciated and noticed.
Read other texts on our blog!
Visit SkillBox on Facebook!
You can test managing of human capital with professional Competency Matrix in spreadsheet.